- 10K Registrants: 975
- Kids Races Regs: 100
- Countdown: 0days 0:0:0
- This year's race is CAPPED AT 1100 10K RUNNERS.
- The first 1000 10K runner will receive a stylish long sleeve shirt!
About Isaac Dickson Elementary School
- In 1992-93 Isaac Dickson Elementary School joined the Foxfire Network of Teachers
to become only one of two Foxfire elementary schools in the nation. Foxfire is a
framework for teaching based largely on the educational ideals of Dewey, Pestalozzi,
Montessori, Piaget, and others. The 11 Core Practices of Foxfire that have been
developed by Foxfire teachers over the last 20 years serve as a framework for classroom
instruction. We believe that these practices enhance the experiential theme of our
- Dickson is committed to a child-centered, progressive approach to learning. The
staff believes that real life experiences and a “learning by doing” approach is
the cornerstone of this Experiential School.
- Experience...Multiculturalism - Isaac Dickson Elementary School believes that our
cultural diversity is a strength that needs to be celebrated. We welcome a variety
of students from diverse backgrounds whether it be racial, ethnic, religious or
- Experience...Democracy - One of the primary aims of Isaac Dickson School is to prepare
children to be active participants in a democratic society. Students are involved
in many decision making activities including the formation of class rules, class
projects, class government and school wide government.
- Experience...Creativity - by emphasizing processes such as divergent thinking, freedom
of expression, and problem solving, the students are encouraged to be creative.
These creative processes often take shape as dramatic productions, art displays,
writing of various kinds, video productions, computer generated projects and more.
- Experience...Continuous Progress Classrooms - At our school the primary division
(grades K-2) is divided into multiage classes of 5-, 6-, and 7-year olds. Multiage
grouping is a pattern already familiar to children because it is like their family
and neighborhood where they interact with children of a variety of ages. In this
way a student stays with the same teacher for two years. About the Isaac Dickson
Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization
This year the PTO fund will:
- Enable all children to participate in field trips;
- Help pay for bus drivers for field trips;
- Support cultural arts and our artists-in-residence program;
- Provide classroom support funds for teachers;
- Support teacher appreciation events;
- Assist the Media center in expanding and updating materials;
- Provide food, clothing, school supplies, and other emergency support to families
of our school; and
- Improve school facilities, including special projects like the flower beds, school
sign and the Seth Olson K-2 playground.